Monday, September 8, 2008

Go tell it on the mountain

My mom recently shared an interesting story with me. Reporting to work after having a few days off, one of my mom’s co-workers mentioned that she had received a letter in the mail. Now receiving mail at work is not odd for most folks, but for my mom it’s rather odd because she typically doesn’t get mail at work. Mom opened the letter (it was addressed to her) and found a small greeting-type card with a picture of a lamb on the front. When she opened the card she found a crisp $100 bill inside. The card contained no handwriting or any printed type of any sort, just the c- note. What was really strange about the letter was that it was postmarked August 20th – the day my brother, mother, and I said our goodbyes (after a 10-year reunion – see this post). Mom quickly shared this surprising story with some of her friends. A few of her friends (followers of Christ) responded, “Oh, Ms. Gerri, that’s the Lord blessing you. He wants you to go and tell others of the blessings He’s bestowing upon you.” Well, when mom told me this story, I couldn’t help but think that I needed to share it with all of you. You see, God loves to bless His people. And many times we take His blessings for granted; we never thank Him for every good thing He provides. Over the past week, I couldn’t stop thinking about that card. Every time I’d read a Bible passage I’d think about how the Lord blesses me. Then I read the following New Testament passage:


Now the man from whom the demons had departed begged Him that he might be with Him. But Jesus sent him away, saying, “Return to your own house, and tell what great things God has done for you.” And he went his way and proclaimed throughout the whole city what great things Jesus had done for him. (Luke 8:38-39, NKJV, emphasis mine)


Sometimes, God wants us to proclaim what great things He has done for us. When was the last time you told someone what God has done for you? Or better yet, how about how He's working in your life right now?

God's blessings in my life makes me want to shout for joy. I can't help but think of that wonderful song we typically sing at Christmas time:


Go, tell it on the mountain
Over the hills and everywhere
Go, tell it on the mountain
That Jesus Christ is born.


Go tell it on the mountain – Christ is King!


Amen.

No comments: