Saturday, February 14, 2009

Samantha & Sydney

The 17th of this month is my daughters’ 5th birthday. Unfortunately, it also marks the 5th anniversary of their deaths. My identical twin daughters, Samantha and Sydney, were born still 2/17/2004. I’m not going to get into all the details as to what happened. If you want to read more, please visit my wife’s blog here.

At the prompting of my wife, I sat down and wrote them a letter last night. Initially I was a little resistant to writing the letter, but I did it any way, wanting to please my wife. Maybe my initial reluctance was a result of not dealing with some emotional baggage from the loss. Regardless, I’m glad I wrote the letter because it was a big step in emotional healing, and more importantly, it forced me to reflect on my own mortality; that the death statistic still remains 1 out of every 1 person will die. Don’t miss understand me. I’m not being flippant about death or dying, nor am I rationalizing my daughters’ deaths. Many times it takes a life-changing event to force us to face the stark realities in our lives. Am I afraid of dying? Well, I’m actually more afraid of how I’m going to die! Aren’t you? But, no, I’m not afraid of dying. The Lord Jesus himself tells us in the Gospel of John:

“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know.” (John 14:1-4, New King James Version)

My pastor read this passage at our daughters’ funeral. Every time I read it, I am reminded of the promise of someday being welcomed into heaven by my two precious girls, whom I’ve never had the pleasure of knowing.

Thank you, Jesus. For without you and your sacrifice on the cross, there would be no hope in this world.

Samantha & Sydney – We love you both very much!! Happy Birthday.

Dad

No comments: