Thursday, July 31, 2008

Anchor for your soul

While peering out my airplane window at just over 7 miles above the earth’s surface, I’m reflecting on the new day God has given me. Sometimes I take for granted each new day God has given me. How about you? I assume that's true for most of us. That’s until some illness or tragedy strikes close to home.


On this morning’s flight, I was thinking about the obituary I read last night for the Carnegie Mellon University Computer Science Professor, Dr. Randy Pausch, who died last Friday after an almost year-long battle with pancreatic cancer. Dr. Pausch, as you may have read, decided to courageously face the cancer head on and shared his experience with his students through a lecture titled “Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams”. You can view this on youtube or read the book published earlier this year.

I strongly encourage you to read the book. It’s a quick read, but more importantly, it’s a powerful reminder of how our attitudes determine our responses to life’s adversity, trials and tribulations. The reality is someday we are all going to face death. That’s a fact. So, my question is how now shall we live in light of this fact?

I don’t listen to country music all that much, but many of the country songs do tell a good story. And for today’s illustration, I’ll use Tim McGraw’s song “Live Like You Were Dying”. Take a look at the lyrics written below, sung during the bridge portion of this song:


Like tomorrow was the end
And ya got eternity to think about what to do with it
What should you do with it
What can I do with it
What would I do with it


My dear friend, this life is a gift from God. Every minute we have been given us is from God. This isn’t a dress rehearsal. What we choose today counts for all eternity. Please don’t tune me out. I’m pleading for you to listen because I care for you. Your life is more than your physical body or the “stuff” you’ve accumulated thus far. Your soul will live forever in one of two places: Heaven or Hell. Whether you believe this or not doesn’t change truth. To reject this truth would be like a person that rejects the law of gravity and decides to leap from a 10-story building. We all know the results of the decision to reject truth are disastrous.


I know, some of you might be petrified by the topic of death and dying, perhaps even avoid talking about it. Maybe you’ve tried to pour yourself into your job, a relationship, or a hobby. Listen to what Jesus says about this topic, as recorded in the Bible;


“For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?” - Matthew 16:26


I’m sure some of you have your own opinions about what happens after death. Please remember my first blog posting where I mentioned that “My basis for truth is God’s word. I believe that the Holy Scriptures are inspired, inerrant, and infallible propositional truths of our Lord.” Again, God speaks this truth, not me. I am just the messenger pointing to the One from whom all truth is given. I also described that I would share my walk with Christ, who is the anchor of my soul.Let me show you a few reasons why I have placed my faith in Jesus Christ.


Someday, when I die, I’ll stand before God, the righteous judge. (And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment. - Hebrews 9:27). Since I am a BIG sinner and have rebelled against God, my own sinful actions have separated me from God, and the results of my disobedience demand justice - my Death. (The soul who sins shall die. - Ezekiel 18:20; Also, For the wages of sin is death. - Romans 6:23A)

My separation from God is my own fault, but out of God’s great love and mercy He provides a righteous substitute to pay for the wages of my sin and deserved punishment (but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8, emphasis mine)

God’s payment for my sin (and yours) is accomplished through the atoning sacrifice of His Son, Jesus Christ, on the Cross at Calvary. (For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. - John 3:16; Also, For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. - 2 Corinthians 5:21)

Jesus died on the Cross, was buried, and then was raised from the dead three days later. God promises eternal life to all that come to Him through faith in Jesus Christ. ("I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.” –John 11:25-26)


I hope you ponder these truths. Don’t let another second go by without thinking about your life and how you will live. Life is too short and you never know when your time will be up.


I like reading the account of Jesus raising His friend Lazarus from the dead, as detailed in John chapter 11. Only God can do the impossible. After all, Lazarus had been dead four days! How do you think Lazarus lived after he was raised from the dead? Fearful? Scared? No way. I am guessing he lived with a radical freedom only known to those who have placed their trust in Jesus Christ. Jesus has conquered death once and for all and He freely gives eternal life to all that turn from their sins and run to Him.


that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. – Romans 10:9


God is the One, by his Holy Spirit, who calls us unto Himself. He doesn’t need me to do his work for Him, that’s for sure. But I am so grateful that He does allow me to share His message of hope and love and redemption with you. I am truly just a beggar showing other beggars where to find the bread. It's my hope and prayer that you know Jesus as your Lord and Savior.


Thank you, Lord, for your amazing grace. Amen.


No comments: