Friday, August 15, 2008

Father and Son

Today was a wonderful day. It had its fair share of ups and downs. For example, I lost one of my largest sales opportunities of the year. That really hurts – in more ways than one. But, on the other hand, I learned that another large opportunity took a turn for the better. (If any of you are in sales, or have been, you can certainly appreciate the anticipation of “closing” the deal, only to see it evaporate in front of you.) Throughout the entire day, I couldn’t stop thinking about how gracious and good God is to me. I have it so much better than I deserve. The God who spoke the world into existence invites me (and you too) into a personal relationship with Him. He accepts me because His only Son, Jesus, paid my sin debt in full at Calvary. This really hit me on the way home from the movies tonight. Joey and I had just spent some father & son time together; I took off a little early from work and we caught a matinee – The Clone Wars. The movie was ok (I am a big Star Wars fan, but it just did not measure up to any of the six original George Lucas films), but what I really enjoyed was a little quality time with my son. As I was driving home, through the back roads, I smelled that pre-dusk, fresh-cut grass, end-of-summer fast approaching smell, and my soul was just overwhelmed with the joy of our father & son relationship. It’s in these moments (of love for family & friends, having intimate relationships) that I think about how deep the Father’s love for us and that He desires to have the same relationship with us.The more time I spend time with my son, the more I think about the eternal love the Father has for Jesus. I can't imagine sending my only son to die on a cross. Thankfully I don't have to, because God already did it himself. Thank you, Jesus.


Amen.

No comments: